Susan Elan Jones MP has called on Wrexham County Borough Council to ban sky lanterns (sometimes known as ‘Chinese lanterns’) from being released in a letter to the Council’s Chief Executive.
The Clwyd South Labour MP’s call comes after confirmation that 16 out of Wales’ 22 Councils have now enforced a ban.
Susan Elan Jones MP said: “Sky lanterns cause huge problems in terms of animal welfare. I think it’s high time that Wrexham Council joined the majority of councils in Wales in banning them.
“The lanterns are really dangerous in that they can be eaten by animals and can sometimes entrap animals. They are also a total menace when they land on farms as they can cause serious fires.
“I appreciate it is now election campaign season for the Council, but as soon as the new administration has been voted in in May, it’s vital that Wrexham enforces a ban.”
- more than 50 UK local authorities have agreed to ban sky lantern releases on their land
- over 200,000 sky lanterns (also known as Chinese lanterns) are sold in the UK each year (RSPCA figures)
- Taken from RSPCA Report:
“Here are just a handful of reported incidents:
• A foal had to be put to sleep after his legs were so badly injured from bolting through a fence having been terrified by a lantern.
• Holly, a nine-month-old goat died after the frame of a lantern punctured her throat.
• A farmer in Chester told how a cow died when the wire from a sky lantern punctured her oesophagus after ingestion, saying “in effect she spent a long, painful 48 hours suffocating on her own feed.”
• A barn owl died having become entangled in a lantern frame”.
“Welcome to my website, which provides information about my work in Westminster and in my constituency.
I have had the honour of representing my home area in Parliament since May 2010. In Westminster, I have campaigned on many important issues. These include jobs; supporting local businesses; road safety and transport issues; toughening the law on child abuse; and S4C. You can follow my speeches and parliamentary questions on www.theyworkforyou.com/
If you need my help or would like to invite me to a community event, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me in English or Welsh.”
“Croeso i fy ngwefan, sy’n cynnwys manylion am fy ngwaith yn San Steffan ac yn yr etholaeth.
‘Rydw i wedi cael y fraint o gynrychioli ardal fy nghynefin yn San Steffan ers Mai 2010. Yn San Steffan, ‘rydw i wedi ymgyrchu ar faterion pwysig fel swyddi; cefnogi busnesau lleol; diogelwch ar ein ffyrdd a
thrafnidiaeth; cryfhau’r gyfraith ar gam-drin plant; ac S4C a’r Gymraeg. Gallwch ddarllen fy areithiau seneddol a chwestiynau ar www.theyworkforyou.com/
Os hoffech fy ngwahodd i ddigwyddiad cymunedol, peidiwch ag oedi i gysylltu â mi yn y Gymraeg neu’r Saesneg”.